Engelsmann AG Logo Engelsmann AG Logo

1873 Engelsmann founder, Johann “Jean” Engelsmann (1847-1916) came to Ludwigshafen from Bad Kreuznach and took over the L. Klein millstone factory as industrialization was reaching its climax in Ludwigshafen. With a handful of workers, Jean Engelsmann began manufacturing and selling millstones and other food contact materials for grain milling.
 
1904-1910 Protection of the “J. Engelsmann” brand name and “Rhenania” as the trademark for millstones. The company continues to develop dynamically. Milling machines and automatic mixing machines for flours, clays, dyes and chemicals are now produced. Thanks to excellent quality and myriad possibilities for application, Rhenania millstones have developed into an essential component of the Engelsmann business.
 
1911-1930 The facilities have become too small and the business moves to its current headquarters in Frankenthaler Strasse. The company is converted to a corporation and the registered brand name “J. Engelsmann” is replaced by a new corporate logo “JEL”. At the same time, the millstones are slowly being ousted by the grinding machines. The company responds with the development of new products. A patent is applied for the first mixing machine and a test screening machine to create analyses of grain mixtures is brought onto the market.
 
1940-1966 Ongoing bombings during the Second World War cause major damage. By the end of the war, 70% of the company is destroyed. It is not until the company is rebuilt that advancement of the current business can be considered. Because the era of the millstone is definitely over, Engelsmann now focuses on the dawning age of plastics. Furthermore, larger dimensions for the machines and a higher degree of precision are in demand. The main focuses of production shift to the manufacture of laboratory devices and mixing machines such as the drum hoop mixer, which is developed in the early 60’s, and screening and sorting machines as well.
 
 
1940-1966 Ongoing bombings during the Second World War cause major damage. By the end of the war, 70% of the company is destroyed. It is not until the company is rebuilt that advancement of the current business can be considered. Because the era of the millstone is definitely over, Engelsmann now focuses on the dawning age of plastics. Furthermore, larger dimensions for the machines and a higher degree of precision are in demand. The main focuses of production shift to the manufacture of laboratory devices and mixing machines such as the drum hoop mixer, which is developed in the early 60’s, and screening and sorting machines as well.
1970-1985 In the 1970’s, the manufacturing range is expanded to include laboratory devices for screening analysis, mixing technology, volume development and opacity determination of dyes. In the early 80’s, the screening machines form the majority of what is produced in the division responsible for stand-alone machines. The first modularly constructed vibration screening machine comes onto the market. Multi-sided screening machines are delivered to the most important industrial countries.
 
1990-2010 Engelsmann enters into the business of facilities construction and, in addition to the chemicals industry, which becomes its most important customer, also taps into other markets such as the pharmaceutical industry and the food industry.
 
 
2013 to the present

The company celebrates its 140th anniversary and undergoes strategic restructuring. With the focus on the fields of screening and big bag systems, the objective is to distinguish ourself as an expert for bulk solids processes on the market in future.

» Additional information about the company

» Information on the current range of products